Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre

by Ann Rinaldi

My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Goodreads Summary
Rachel Marsh is a servant in the Boston household of John Adams. But her loyalty to the Adams family is tested by her friendship with Matthew Kilroy, a British private who leads his soldiers in firing upon a mob of Boston citizens.

My Review
The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre is an excellently researched tale about the Boston Massacre. The main character, Rachel Marsh, was a nursemaid in John Adams' household for his many children. In this novel, she turns from a young teenager with a romanticized version of the world into a young woman with character and sense on her shoulders. She underwent this process by becoming friends with revolutionaries, such as Henry Knox, and British soldiers.

One aspect that I loved about this book was that Rinaldi captured different views people could hold about the situation in 1770's Boston. I loved the metamorphosis of characters' views as they pondered what liberty actually meant. Was it personal liberty? Political liberty? Liberty within a household? Friendship liberties? The definition of liberty was a clear theme throughout the book.

I also loved the views that she gave the soldiers in the novel. It shed some light on other feelings and viewpoints I had not yet considered. For example, the redcoats believed that they were supposed to be viewed as noble heroes because they were protecting their country. That was why a few had signed to be a party of the British army. In Boston they were not treated as such, and it turned out to be a grievous disappointment.

There were also some historical tidbits that I learned from reading the novel. I have a better understanding of how the relationship between the cousins of John and Sam Adams was characterized. I learned small facts about Abigail Adams' family, such as her grandfather was the found of a New England province. I also learned a touch more about Adams' defense of the soldiers after the Boston Massacre. Rinaldi picked out certain aspects and quotations to use that were appropriate and enlightening.

Overall, I would recommend this book to any American. It helps to illustrate the principles of what our country was founded upon. It also is an entertaining tale about how a girl becomes an educated woman. After putting the book down, I find myself yearning to find out what happens to Rebecca Marsh.

1 comment: