Sunday, February 10, 2013

Every Day

By David LevithanEvery Day
My Rating: 2/5 stars

Goodreads Synopsis: There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

My Review: When I read that this story was about a person who woke up in a different body every day and was trying to stay with the girl it loved, I was so ready to read this book. I really wanted to like it because it seemed it was right up my alley. Unfortunately, this story turned out to be more about how to complicate and ruin a perfectly reasonably tortured love story. 

I love reading romantic stories, whether adult or young adult. I love when there are two souls who find each other and their whole worlds stops and shifts itself to center around that newly found person. If this story had centered on this principle, I would have loved it. Instead, it centered around the difficulties there were to be in a different body every day. The person may be a boy or girl, straight or gay, or rich or poor. They may be hungover, depressed, or crazy. I felt that this story was trying to hard to make different people seem the same as they are tied together by this one body invader. Instead, it was like an out of control train that makes stop after stop to crazy town. All of the stops took me farther away from the love story to the point where they just seemed like two really stupid teenagers that just needed to drink a cup of grow the hell up.

This story is not for people who like love stories. It is not for people who want to read about happy endings. It is a story for people who want to make political statements about the diversity of the American population.

No comments:

Post a Comment