Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Proper Pie

Style: Pie!
My Rating: 5/5 Stars


Likes: Wide versatility of pie flavors, both savory and sweet; Awesome taste; Friendly workers who give compliments

Dislikes: Needs more seating inside

My colleague, Jill, had mentioned a place where you could purchase hand pies in Richmond and that they were absolutely “yummy.” As a vegetarian, she spoke about one vegetable pie and it sounded fantastic. I was determined to go so I added it to my summer’s bucket list. When Jill and I spoke about what to do on our outing this afternoon, the first thought that came to my mind was Proper Pie.



Proper Pie is a super cool “hipster” type of venue. They had the menu written on a chalk board above the registers, with many pies on display. It all looked so good. It was a feat to walk in and just order one pie. There were a lot people packed into a tiny space, which of course is a sign of good business. I wish there were more tables and seating in addition to the counters and few tables they had, but will make do because my pie was awesome.



Jill ordered the Vegan Mincemeat Pie (the one with the poppy seeds in the picture below) and I ordered the Pork Verde Pie (the one without poppy seeds). Their savory pies seemed to be all the same shape and size, which made for a very hearty lunch. I would also be satisfied with one for dinner, but people with larger appetites (ahem, husband) might want two. I also saw some pies in a half moon shape, which might be sweet ones. There were also delectable treats in cake domes. I really could not inspect further because I was tempted to purchase the entire menu.



While taking a bite of the pie that I ordered, the Pork Verde, it seemed that my palette had been infused with flavor. The juices from the verde sauce and the pork soaked into the buttery crust. The crust, even when not absorbing the filling’s flavors, had a fantastic homemade flavor and texture; crispy and soft in places where it needed to be. It was fun to eat it with my hands and bite into it! They also had forks available for more delicate people. I tried the fork, but lost some pork. That’s a no go.




The next chance I have to return to Proper Pie, I am going to do it properly and order a few to take home with me. They are just too tasty to pass up!

No comments:

Post a Comment