Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Help

The Help by Kathryn StockettNot only is "The Help" the title of this book, but it may also stand for, "The Help I Will Need to Find Other Books that Compare to This." This work is so delicious that it has *almost* ruined my appetite to read other books because I know that they will not be as good.

I do not like to give plot summaries in my book reviews because better plots can be read by the publisher. Plus it will take up the space that I need to write about my feelings and analysis of the story. For this novel, there is a lot.

First, I must get started with the development of the characters. I felt like after reading a page or two featuring a character, that I knew them. I could prompt what types of responses they would have to situations. I understood their humor. I would know what they looked like if I crossed their paths on the street. I first lamented that they were not real and made up by an author's imagination. However, two hundred pages into the novel, I realized that I no longer lamented their nonexistence. Stockett developed an authentic celebration of the actual people who lived during this period in history. Even though Aibileen, Skeeter, and Minny didn't actually exist, their personas, feelings, and histories lived in actuality. It makes me want to jump into the book and live in this time period and through the events, meeting people who did live through it. I was born thirty years too late.

I commend Stockett for achieving such a delicate balance between the controversial issues present throughout the five hundred something pages. There were tensions present between both genders and races. I never felt an intense hatred towards an entire group of people. For example, even though Hilly was a horrible character, it did not make me hate white people in the 1960's. I only specifically despised people with characters like Hilly. Same goes to men and Leroy... and the naked intruder...

Miss Skeeter and I have mothers that went through the same finishing school. That is all that I should say about that. Luckily, I found a better man than Stuart.

Rarely do I ever comment on the structure or typeface of the tangible book itself. Here goes the first: the outline of the chapter, "The Benefit (p. 377)," was striking. It visutally grounded the drama of the chapter.

After I finished the book, I must say that I hated the ending. What happens to them?!?! So much has changed!!! ARGH!!! Then, after about two days of distress after finishing the book, it makes me happy. It was genius and the lack of details does not matter. What happens is that they have new beginnings and the world is open to them. It was a beautiful end.

Favorite Quotes:
"Mrs. Charlotte Phelan's Guide to Husband-Hunting, Rule Number One: a pretty, petite girl should accentuate with makeup and good posture. A tall plain one, with a trust fund." (p.67)

"'And you call yourself a Christian,' were Hilly's final words to me, and I thought, 'God. When did I ever do that?'" (p.407)

"I'd cry, if only I had the time to do it." (p.417)

No comments:

Post a Comment