Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Lost Wife, by Alyson Richmon

This bittersweet story is takes place during the Holocaust, where two young lovers are torn apart because they are Jewish. It is a story of young romance, loss, and profound emotional horror. It was one of those stories where I was so attached to the characters and did not want to read another page because of the horror of what was happening to them; yet I was so addicted to this book that I could not put it down.

The story begins at the end, and as it progresses, the chapters jump around on the timeline. They alternate between the points of view of Josef and Lenka, the two main characters. At times, I thought it was creative, but sometimes difficult to jump between events in the chronology.
Richman does a fantastic job using language and romanticizing certain themes throughout the book. One theme that I enjoyed most and could identify with was the concept of young love. The characters wonder if it was a fantasy and wanted to keep it to themselves, like only they were invited to a secret world to be happy and safe. As the plot progresses this concept fades away into loneliness and loss. However, Richman still finds a way to beautify this concept. At points throughout the story, Josef explains the visions of people he has. He says when you dream, love ones come to visit, but the horrors come when you are awake. Richman found a way to make a situation so foreign to the reader seem familiar so they can identify with it.

The only disappointment that I found with this book was the ending. I believe that it stops at a crucial point in the story and I long to know what happens to them afterwards.

Favorite Quotes:

"A different Lenka was emerging, one that existed as two halves- one half wanted to feel alive, to feel happy, to saturate myself in the feelings of first love- but the other half was full of dread." (p. 78)  

"She always told us there were two types of women. Those who are lit from the outside and those who are lit from within. The first needs the shimmer of a diamond to make her sparkle, but for the other, her beauty is iluminated through the sheer light of her soul." (p. 37)

"I love my children like a tiger. I love my wife like a lamb." (p. 69)

No comments:

Post a Comment