Monday, October 29, 2012

When James Met Sandy

Although lacking the love story that When Harry Met Sally had, When James Met Sandy has the potential to be a comedic tragedy.  Something tells me that the two are not getting along well. Specifically, the James River is flowing currently flowing backwards from Hurricane Sandy. Talk about women ruling the roost!

Today, I will be taking photographs of the pier on the James River outside of my home from the kitchen window. Although I like to write about exciting things, the major part of me hopes that this story lacks a lot of excitement. 

It is also pretty cool to compare with Hurricane Irene because I made similar post last year. Click Here!

Monday, October 29
8:00 am

The river is up to just underneath the pier. As you can see by the droplets on the window, it is raining! However, there is very little wind.



Monday, October 29
10:00 am

It has stopped raining, but the James is now up and over the pier. The river is also flowing the opposite direction in which it usually flows. 



Monday, October 29
11:00 am

It has begun raining again! The wind is picking up. I zoomed out on the picture below because the river is actually completely over some parts of the pier.




Monday, October 29
12:00 pm

There has been relatively little change since 11:00 am . However, the water has risen a touch and wind is picking up a touch more. Every once in awhile there will be a strong gust, but it is relatively calm for a hurricane... so far. Below is a close up shot of the water.



Monday, October 29
2:30 pm


Crate Myrtles are starting to bang into the house and the rain is now a full out rain as opposed to a hard drizzle. You can see in the picture below that the tide is starting to move out rather quickly as well. I can see the pier... and a broken tree limb from banging into the house...



Monday, October 29
4:00 pm

I just took a magical nap with the rain hitting the windows and the roof, sounding like little drunken fairies. The whimsical wind was caressing the house outside. I woke up to another magical turn of events: the tide is going out quicker than it came up!



Tuesday, October 30
11:00 am

Sandy and James have finally broken up. Sandy moved on to find some new bachelors like the Hudson River. They had it worse than James did. We have a few partially flooded roads and some broken tree limbs. I feel blessed that James and Sandy's break up did not cause any further devastation. I leave this post with a picture from this morning and a much calmer pier that is happy it survived another James River break up.






1 comment:

  1. Oh yikes, these pictures say it all - be safe my friend, I am thinking of you today and tomorrow (well, everyday!)

    ReplyDelete