Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Haunting Violet

By Alyxandra Harvey
My Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


Goodreads Synopsis
Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts. But they believe in her. After spending years participating in her mother's elaborate ruse as a fraudulent medium, Violet is about as skeptical as they come in all matters supernatural. Now that she is being visited by a very persistent ghost, one who suffered a violent death, Violet can no longer ignore her unique ability. She must figure out what this ghost is trying to communicate, and quickly because the killer is still on the loose.

Afraid of ruining her chance to escape her mother's scheming through an advantageous marriage, Violet must keep her ability secret. The only person who can help her is Colin, a friend she's known since childhood, and whom she has grown to love. He understands the true Violet, but helping her on this path means they might never be together. Can Violet find a way to help this ghost without ruining her own chance at a future free of lies?

My Review

When I pick up a book and sit down and begin to read it, I always want to love it. Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey is one of those books that does not disappoint because I loved it the entire way through. It was a great book to be stuck at home with during Hurricane Sandy.

Haunting Violet is a story that is well written with all of the components I wish for in a book. It flawlessly blended mystery, historic fiction, young love, and paranormal elements into seamless page turner. Neither of these elements took over the story. It wasn't solely about ghosts or solving a mystery because the plot was so well fused it just seemed like an interesting story! I also loved the characters and found myself fond of or hating characters quickly with their short written developments. Towards the end, my opinions even shifted. I love it when books keep you on your toes!

The love elements of this book made me giggle. This is exactly the type of love story I would have wanted to read when I was a teenager. Something as simple a meaningful finger brush are so much more exciting than some of the erotic novels that are currently popular. It is nice to see an age appropriate romance that projects a little more reality and value in this day and age. I also loved that there was a small love triangle centered around Violet and that she chose well in the end based on sound reasons.

I loved this book and am looking forward to following Harvey to read some more of her work!



No comments:

Post a Comment