Monday, August 20, 2012

Faith of the Fallen



Faith of the Fallen (The Sword of Truth, Book Six)
By Terry Goodkind
My Rating: 4/5 stars


Goodreads Review:

Fantasy series fans may argue over the relative merits of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth, George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, but in a world of middle books that go nowhere and endless waits between episodes, Goodkind is certainly still serving up some of the best fantasy on today's menu.
The Seeker of Truth and his Mother Confessor sweetie are both looking a little worse for the wear after their chime-hunt in Soul of the Fire. To top that off, Lord Rahl finds himself a reluctant prophet with the vision that their cause, the fight for freedom against the Imperial Order, is essentially sunk. (Chalk that up to part of the Wizard's First Rule: people really are stupid.) The two lovers soon find themselves separated, Richard off to the Old World thanks to treacherous Sister of the Dark Nicci, and Kahlan left behind, forced to betray Richard and his prophecy by raising an army to fend off the approaching armies of Emperor Jagang.

Whether it's fair or not, Goodkind will likely get beaten up a bit for visiting the trough once too often, à la Jordan. But fear not: Faith of the Fallen does progress at a good clip, and its conclusion--while by no means a final payout--should satisfy. --Paul Hughes


My Thoughts:
I had read the first five books of this series back to back last summer. I really did not think I was going to read them any more. However, I had this one left on my shelf and I had made this decision to "get rid of it." Faith of the Fallen was a break in the monotonous politics of the Sisters of the Light/Dark. Although they were still present, this story line centered on taking your own life into control.

It was also an interesting read considering it is right before a major political election. There was so much abstract theory on how a government should control people and how people create a government. 

Here is a pretty straight forward example taken from p. 541:

"My wife isn't getting enough to eat. The workers group assesses most of my wages, since I am able to produce, and gives it to those who don't work. Because I can work, I've become a slave to those who can't, or who don't wish to. Their methods encourage people to find an excuse to let others take care of them."


Welfare in the county where I live much? ...

No comments:

Post a Comment