Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Rocky Mountain Gentry Show

Rocky Mountains!
Before last week, I had been to Kansas and California, but nothing in between. I had said this so many times in the past few years that I think people around me wanted to shoot me. Now, I don't have to say it any more because Brad and I went to Colorado! 

We visited the Gentry's, who used to live near us. We set them up a few years ago and eventually they got married and moved away. Although we were sad they did not stay, it is nice that we have a new place to visit. On this particular visit, they took us to all the places we wanted to go:  Mountains and Beer!

Mountains!
This mountain portion of my trip really hits the theme of my blog. The mountains make me so happy on the inside, that it shows on the outside. The views in the Rockies are amazing. It makes me realize that my little troubles of day to day life are so insignificant. I can stare out into the wilderness with few people around me, and I don't feel alone. There is the wind, the trees, the grass, deer, birds, and even bugs. The whole world seems still to the naked eye. But when looking into it, I realize that if I remove myself from every day life, it is busy being alive!

Long Horn Sheep at Pike's Peak
I really did enjoy our trip to Pike's Peak. The ride up was an amazing experience. With friends, it was even better. We made jokes. We had spectacular views. We couldn't laugh too hard because we would run out of oxygen. Seriously. I decided to climb around on the rocks (eek!) and had to pause because I ran out of air. Even just walking fast on flat ground was tricky for this gal that lives in an area that is technically below sea level. All I need to say, is that Zebulon Pike, you were one courageous man.



Breweries!
There are so many microbreweries in Colorado, which means so many wonderful challenges for the palette! Brad and I had our first date at a brew pub, and we have always appreciated a craft beer. We drink to taste and appreciate, as opposed to get drunk. We were lucky that we had the chance to sample brews that we can not get out here on the east coast while we were in Colorado. Although, we were having quite a lot of heated fun after finishing three breweries in one day!

Fort Collins Brewery
We had two flights at Fort Collins Brewery: One was the regular drafts and the other was the seasonal drafts. Of all the drafts, their rauchbiers and schwartzbiers were my favorite. For those of you who are not beer people, these are beer that taste like smoked meat. Their Z lager and their Kidd Lager were fabulous for me!  See  Fort Collins Brewery Website for more info!

Mostly finished flights at Fort Collins Brewery!
Big Beaver Brewing Company
This was a "hoot." It was quaint and semi-raunchy with beer that was tasty. We took my gnome and got some pictures. The staff was pleasant and they gave us free raunchy stickers! Check out the Big Beaver Brewing Website for more!


New Belgium Brewing Company
This is the larger microbrewery that we had the chance to visit. I have had their Fat Tire over here in the east and it was always enjoyed. Here I tried a black IPA and their 1554. But the best of all was their Cocoa Mole Ale. It tasted like cinnamon! You could even smell the cinnamon in the beer. It was a wonderful beer. To read more about it, check out the New Belgium Website to read about it, get pairings, and more!

Grampy liked the New Belgium trailer

Grampy liked the food truck outside, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment