Friday, January 4, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars Review

The Fault in Our Stars
By John Green
My Rating: 2/5 Stars


Goodreads Summary: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


My Review: This is now my fourth version of this review. Each time I write it, it becomes far to personal for me to publish on the internet. I appreciated this book, but I didn't like it. 

The writing was a masterpiece. The characters are well developed. The philosophies are intricate and well formed. It is introspective and reflective about both very deep and serious issues, as well as everyday occurrences. 

However, the topic was depressing which goes against the reason I read. Currently, I read for escape. This is not a book that I wanted to escape into. I put the novel down three times because I was crying. 

I also feel that it was over melodramatic. It is great material for "emo" teenagers who write poetry and are just beginning to contemplate the meaning of life. I have surpassed that stage in my life and don't plan on revisiting it any time shortly. 

Although it is an excellent book, make sure you are comfortable with the topic before you begin it. By the time I realized how depressing it was, I was already too attached the characters and I felt like I was doing sick children around the world an injustice by not finishing it (yes, completely irrational I know).

No comments:

Post a Comment