Saturday, June 1, 2013

Cheesy Garlic Butter Biscuits

Pinterest is riddled with recipes for a specific type of biscuit. Some refer to it as Red Lobster knock offs, or Cheddar Bay Biscuits. Others call them Cheesy Garlic Biscuits, or others have called them Better Than ___ Biscuits. Regardless of what they are called, they all end up with a little biscuit that is made with cheese and brushed with garlic butter goodness. Tonight I conquered this heavenly biscuits, both by baking them, and by eating more than I originally planned. 



The neatest thing about these biscuits was that they were so quick. Lately I have been so focused on baking breads and rolls that require yeast. There is kneading involved, and time is set aside for rising. If the temperature is not perfect, the dough will not rise. Basically, rolls and breads have the potential to be a huge pain. There were just three steps with these little bits of baked heaven:

1. Mix the ingredients together.
2. Form little balls and bake them.
3. Brush the biscuits with butter.

I can handle this.

When I bit into the first one as it was right out of the oven, the butter oozed from the bread and covered my mouth. As I chewed, the cheesy bread easily broke apart because it was so soft and tender. With each bite, I was little bit closer to gaining a full pound of buttery bread weight, but the taste was so indulgent that I just did not care. I am going to work out a lot tomorrow… and the next day… and probably a few after that, too.

I looked at a bunch of different recipes for these. I used my favorite aspects of one from Salt & Tumeric Blog, Cheesy Garlic Biscuits. I made a few changes, however. I had to add a few splashes of milk when I was mixing the dough so that the cheese would adhere to the flour. I also added more butter and took out and extra baking step at the end. I like my biscuits to be soft and buttery. However, if you are a crunchy bread fan, other recipes say that you can bake these in the oven for up to ten minutes more after the biscuits have been buttered. 

Recipe below yields 12 biscuits.

Ingredients

1 pack buttermilk biscuit mix (I used 1 ½ cups of Southern Living Complete Biscuit Mix, Formula L)
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk (plus more splashes if necessary)
3 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. oregano 
3/4 tsp. garlic salt

Directions 

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray cooking sheet with non-stick spray or use a silicone baking sheet.

2. Put biscuit mix, cheese and milk in a bowl and mix well to form a sticky dough.




3. Using spoon, drop lumps of dough onto cookie sheets 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes. 




4. In a bowl, melt butter and mix with oregano and garlic salt.

5. When the timer goes off, take them out and brush with butter mixture.

6. Serve immediately, and eat the most as you can because they will not be around long. 



No comments:

Post a Comment