Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Garlic Thyme Sweet Potato Rounds

My husband made a spicy pork burger with provolone and grilled red peppers and onions. I was in charge of the side. I knew we were going to have a very filling and fattening main course that was going to have a balance of sweet and savory. The first thing that crossed my mind was salted sweet potatoes. 



I also wanted something a little healthier. When I created these, I brushed on just a touch of olive oil to limit the calories. The oven temperature can also be played around with on these. I chose to roast the potatoes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. They got a touch crispy along the outside so they kept their shape. To keep them softer, I would bake at 350 degrees. For crispier “chip” like potatoes, I would set it to 400 degrees. Just be careful with this setting and check to make sure that they do not burn. If they start burning, tent them with foil.

Yields 4 Servings

Ingredients

4 small sweet potatoes, skinned and cut into ½” thick rounds
1 Tbsp of olive oil
4 tsp minced garlic
1 ½ tsp dried thyme
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (or see note above)
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum
3. Place sweet potato rounds on the lined baking sheet
4. Brush the sweet potato rounds with olive oil
5. Sprinkle the rest of the ingredients onto the sweet potato rounds
6. Bake the rounds in the heated oven for 40 minutes. Let them cool for five minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment