Monday, September 2, 2013

Smoky Potatoes

I haven’t posted anything in so long because we moved! Moving is an exercise that sucks all time and motivation from the soul by squeezing it to death with uncertainty and problems. Really, our move went just fine, but I had to find my way around town and learn to cook in a kitchen made for one person and not seven.


One awesome thing about moving away from the middle of nowhere is that we now have cable. I can watch the Food Network (among other channels of course)! It has been inspiring the past few weeks to be cooking along with episodes of Chopped reruns and Iron Chef playing in the background.

Our recipe today was actually influenced by Chopped. In one episode, they were using the stems of herbs as an ingredient that they had to use. My husband decided to include our cilantro stems in our potato recipe today!

Also influencing our recipe is the farmer’s market that is just down the street. We are getting some great produce, and I am excited to try and incorporate these healthier, organic items into my daily lifestyle. 


When I returned from the market today, I had these awesome baby potatoes. My husband and I scrounged around for some ideas to be served as a side with a Cilantro Chipotle Hamburger, and Smoky Potatoes is what we came up with.



Smoky Potatoes
Serves 4

Ingredients

lb baby potatoes, quartered
1 onion, chopped into petals
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
2 Tbsp Red Chili Flakes
1 tsp Cumin
Left over cilantro stems (optional)

Method

1.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Place the potatoes and onions on a flat baking pan in a single layer. Drizzle the olive oil over the mixture.

3. Combine the smoked paprika, chili flakes, and cumin in a small bowl.

4. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the pan, and toss the mixtures so that the potatoes and onions are coated with spice.




5. Bake the potatoes and onions for 40-45 minutes, or until browned on the outside and the potatoes are soft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment