Monday, July 14, 2014

821 Cafe

Style: Cafe/ Diner
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Website: http://www.821caferva.com/ 

Likes: Eclectic and artsy atmosphere, classic menu items and ones with a twist, Sriracha on every table, parking downtown near VCU was not difficult due to roadside space, baskets on the table had creamer so I didn’t have to keep asking for me

Dislikes: Although neat, the one large table in the middle of the room provides for awkward situations

A fire engine screams by the restaurant on my quiet weekday visit, and my friend Greg walks in just as it goes by. As the siren echoes through the restaurant, he shakes his head as I say, “Way to make an entrance.”

Café 821 is a perfect place for us to catch up on our summer adventures. Greg had just spent time at a saxophone “camp” at the Eastman School of Music and I had spent the holiday with my in-laws plus my own grandmother. We had a lot to talk about.



We feel comfortable to talk in the atmosphere with its artistic touches, calm color palette, and retro tables adorned with fiesta ware.  The staff is friendly and patient as we stay there for a while. I even took a portrait picture of Greg for my photography class. Poor guy. 



With just a quick glance of the menu, I see at least five dishes that I am excited to try. Neither Greg nor I can decide on something sweet or savory, so we each get a different item and split it between the both of us.

I order the savory Bacon and Brie Omelet with grilled onions and spinach. It comes loaded with a side of crispy rosemary home fries, fruit salad, and four triangles of rye toast. The elastic cheese holds the onions and spinach together. The bacon is present, but does not seem like a feature of the dish as it is overpowered by the rest of the filling. The name is misleading. 



Greg’s choice of the Nutella French Toast is the best dish.  It comes beautifully arranged in a pinwheel, with slices of bananas on top with sprinkles with powdered sugar. The slices of toast have been sliced in half and spread with Nutella and something crunchy, quite possible hazel nuts! Therefore, each bite has a sweet complexity of Nutella, maple syrup, and bananas. It is out of this world!



No comments:

Post a Comment