Friday, February 20, 2015

New Orleans BBQ Shrimp

Stuck indoors. Snow on the ground. Stuck in doors. Husband is work. Stuck in doors. Need something to pass the time.

What do I have in my pantry and fridge? Shrimp. Hot sauce.  Garlic. Half of a lemon. Half a bottle of wine. No chicken. Frozen pork chops will take a while to defrost. Hmmm.

Pinterest should give me ideas. Closet Cooking just did a post on shrimp! Click. Sweet, I have all of the ingredients.



This recipe was so easy and most of the ingredients are things I have on hand. Worchestershire. Hot sauce. Butter. Wine. Spices. It didn’t take long to cook at all with minimal prep work. The blog’s recipe did call for creole seasoning. I don’t have any pre-made, so this was one part I specifically put together based on some recipes I looked for online, what was in my spice drawer, and my own taste palette. A lot of recipes called for a lot of thyme. Thyme is not my favorite spice, so I drastically reduced it.



The sauce was finger licking good. I actually took a spatula around the pan and licked up the rest before I washed the pan. Seriously good. It is so good, that when I make this again, I plan on adding some chicken. Perhaps some sausage. And bread, definitely bread, so I can scoop up the awesome sauce.

New Orleans BBQ Shrimp Recipe
Serves 2

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons butter
3 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ cup hot sauce (Franks or Sriracha)
¼ cup Worcestershire
1/3 cup red wine
2 Tbsp lemon juice (1/2 of lemon)
Creole seasoning (see recipe below)
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tbsp butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
Ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Creole Seasoning
2 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp oregano
¼ tsp thyme
¼ tsp cayenne

Method
1. In a small bowl, make the creole seasoning by mixing the spices together on the ingredients list. Set aside. 

2. Melt the butter in a pan, then add the garlic until it warms. Add the hot cause, Worcestershire sauce, wine, lemon juice, creole seasoning and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce is reduced, about six minutes.

3. Add the shrimp and cook until cooked through, about four minutes (depends) on the size of the shrimp). 

4. Reduce the heat to medium-low, stir in pieces of butter until it melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment