Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer


The neatest thing about this book was that I got my husband into it. He is very much into the zombie/ vampire/ monster slaying thing. In addition to this propensity for violence, he also is educated. So when I told him that there was a bit about Sir Walter Raleigh in the book, he said, "Well, I guess that's why there was a lost colony. He ate them." Ha! Please read on. 


Summary from Goodreads
Abraham Lincoln was just a boy when he learned that his mother's untimely death was actually the work of a vampire. From then on, he vowed to devote his intelligence, strength--and skill with an ax--to the elimination of the soulless creatures. It was a path of vengeance that would lead him all the way to the White House.


No one ever knew about Lincoln's valiant struggle against the undead... until author Seth Grahame-Smith laid eyes on Abe's secret journal--the first living person to do so in over 140 years. Putting a supernatural spin on revisionist history, Seth has reconstructed Lincoln's true life story--while revealing the role vampires played in the birth, growth and near-death of our nation.


My Review from Goodreads:
I picked up Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter so I could read it before watching the movie when it comes out. Having a fantasy and historical fiction love, I thought that this would be a funny and quick read. It was funny,yes... but not quick! This story intertwines humor, creativity, historical facts, and allegorical political commentary. WOW! It was a handful.

One of my favorite aspects of the novel was the journal entries. Written as though they were in the time period, I recognized historical events, lifestyles, and facts inside the pages. Seth Grahame-Smith stayed true to so much information about Lincoln's life. Other than the fact that vampires exist, the story coincided with the majority of the events and characteristics of his lifetime. 

I had a difficult time rating this novel because I have a deep appreciation of the historical facts blended with the creativity. However, it was slow getting through it. 4 stars is a blend of these two aspects.

My favorite quote in a book that I have read so far this year also occurred in this book. Lincoln arrives in Washington D.C. for the first time. He said it was "a few brilliant beacons in a fog of fools."

So true. So true.

No comments:

Post a Comment