Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Eat More Produce: Zucchini Turkey Boats!

 I am so very blessed for two things: A husband who likes to cook with me and a very awesome generator at the place where I live... er... "squat." We lost power again this evening for the sixth time this summer. Thankfully, the estate that we house sit has a generator that will run the whole house. When Brad came off of work to begin his "weekend" this afternoon, we made plans to try a new recipe. We made it together during a very windy thunderstorm that knocked the power out. We were saved by the generator!


I have become a recipe blog fanatic. It started with Betty Crocker. I signed up for Betty Crocker in order to get more Box Tops for Education for my school. Then, Betty started sending me emails. I loved going through the recipes! I became an addict. Then, the emails started to not come every day and I began withdrawal. Sad, right? Then I realized these amazing people who put recipes on blogs! Now I no longer have to rely on Betty and have expanded my horizon.


Tonight we made a recipe from No Empty Chairs called Zucchini Boats with Turkey Sausage. I posted my pictures below that go through the steps, but please visit the site for the recipe. I am trying to practice my so very horrible pictures so that I improve. For people who are trying to incorporate more vegetables, stay within WeightWatchers points, or just want a new and tasty meal that is NOT a stuffed pepper, I suggest you try it. Even Brad ate it with reckless abandon. 


Step One: Prep the boat by coring the zucchini and brushing olive oil and salt and pepper into the boat. We started with three small zucchini... and it ended up using four to get the sausage in.

Step Two through Four: We changed this up a bit for the sake of time and generator power to cook turkey and zucchini filling at the same time in two separate pans. We chopped the mushrooms, garlic, and onion in the food processor before hand.



Step Five: Add wine, zucchini mixture, tomatoes, basil, rosemary, pepper, and salt and let it cook! We did find that 2 tsp. of salt was a little excessive. Next time we will probably halve it.


Step Six: After cooling a little, we added an egg and parmesean cheese... ok, so I doubled the parm. I'm Italian, what do you expect?


Step Seven: Stuff the Boat!


Step Eight: Bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees for healthy goodness. 





No comments:

Post a Comment