Sunday, July 29, 2012

Strawberry Galette with Basil Cream

Today we celebrated my first wedding anniversary and I decided to try something more sophisticated and refined than I usually make. I had been eyeing a recipe from Martha Stewart that was clearly for warmer months: Strawberry Galette with Basil Cream. I wanted to make it before I began prepping for my fall baking season!  The recipe is located on the Martha Stewart website here.


The Crust
This recipe was made in a few steps. The crust I made the night before. It was relatively easy to make and to work with. However, after chilling in the fridge over night, it was very hard to roll out. Brad offered to help me roll it out. Other than that, it tasted nice and buttery.


The Basil Cream
We changed this up a little. Instead of using flat basil leaves and brewing them in the cream, we used a frozen teaspoon full and did not remove them. The cream was sweeter than I expected and had an awesome taste that complimented the buttery crust. If we were to make it again, Brad and I agreed that we would add some more heavy cream to the mixture because the marscapone made created a pudding texture.


The Whole Galette
There are some things made by Martha that run exactly well from the recipe, and others that I will need to refine. The first thing was that the galette was rather small. We did not have enough space for the strawberries and  when comparing mine to Martha's image, she had smaller strawberries than I. She recommended a 10 inch diameter, which I created by using a a pie plate as a "cookie" cutter. Next time, I am going to make it bigger. 
How would Martha stop the leak?


The second problem occurred while baking. There was a build up of juice that bubbled up over the edge. Not exactly sure what caused this. Perhaps I will use less strawberries than it calls for. The one nice thing is that it came off of the Silpat very easily.  The cookie sheet... not so much.


Overall, it was a tasty dish. However, I am not sure I will make it again. There were not a lot of servings. Cutting up all of the strawberries perfectly was a touch annoying, plus very time consuming. Although it tasted great, there are recipes that are better. Plus, there was a lot of prep work and many steps. For a project over the summer where I don't have to work, that is fine. But during the school year, definitely not. 


No comments:

Post a Comment